In all the actions and dealings with both internal and external customers, the institute commits itself to the following mission statement:
Coordinate and support rural development and community engagement activities as well as establish and maintain relations with internal and external partners, with an aim of enhancing research, teaching and learning thus contributing towards socio-economic upliftment of communities based on the identified needs.
- Supporting the MUT community with the development of their Community Engagement project proposals;
- Linking the MUT community with relevant community groups and structures;
- Organizing training sessions that address identified community needs;
- Coordinating various rural development projects and
- In partnership with external stakeholders, coordinating the celebrations of special days such as International Mandela Day, Arbour Day, National Science Week, International Literacy Day and World Food Day.
Professor Busisiwe Nkonki-Mandleni
Director: Institute for Rural Development and Community Engagement
Business: 031 819 9413 or 031 819 9422
The vision of IRDCE is to be:
"To be a catalyst for rural development and community engagement through teaching and learning, research and innovation"
- FACULTY COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT FLAGSHIPS
Special national and international days have been celebrated annually such as Mandela Day (in July) arbour day and International Literacy day (in September). We also host Community Engagement day annually. We hosted inaugural Community Engagement Excellence Awards in November 2016. We have been involved in the National Science Week that is celebrated between the end of July to the first week of August each year.
Community Engagement day
International literacy day
IRDCE has initiated partnerships with the following organisations:
- Dexter and Matu Zama (DMZ) Agricultural Academy is in partnership with MUT-IRDCE in an effort to train communities on the identified needs, promote environmental awareness and sustainable use of natural resources, co-ordinate technology transfer and promote entrepreneurial skills, share results of research conducted collaboratively, assist the academy in the implementation of research findings.
- Empangisweni Trust is in partnership with MUT- IRDCE with a purpose of placing MUT students for Service-Learning and Work Integrated Learning. Planned projects are field crop production, vegetables production, fruit production, piggery, livestock feedlots, small stock and broilers. Food processing, aquaculture and game farming are additional projects. Green Technology (Energy management), Reverse Engineering and agro mechanical, applied research. Education programme for schools (intervention in the form of workshops/ trainings for teachers and community upliftment programmes are part of the partnership agreement although the MOU is not finalised.
- AgriSeta is in partnership with MUT- IRDCE with a purpose of exposing unemployed graduates in Agriculture to a hands-on experience in the field of agriculture.
- LINKS TO COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT DOCUMENTS
- Application Form for Community Engagement Funds
- Application to Register a Community Engagement (CE) Flagship/Project
- Community Engagement Policy
- Conceptual Framework for Community Engagement
- Monitoring Tool for Community Engagement Projects
- Proposed Community Engagement Activities Guidelines
- Student Volunteerism Registration Form