TEACHING AND PROFFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNIT
WHO ARE WE?
The Teaching and Professional Development Unit (TPDU) is a department within the Teaching and Learning Development Centre (TLDC) that seeks to promote excellence in teaching and learning through the professionalization of academic staff. The Unit is thus responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of a range of formal and informal academic staff development initiatives and programmes across the university. The Unit also has a student related function which is carried out through Peer Assisted Learning and Foundation Provisioning Activities.
To promote excellence in teaching and learning through the provision of specialised professional expertise and services for all faculties so as to improve the institutional learning and teaching culture.
Towards the achievement of its mission, the TPDU offers and provides the following professional development activities and services:
• Interacting with faculties and departments to determine training needs
• Developing and implementing a staff development plan;
• Planning and coordination of seminars/workshops on Teaching and Learning;
• Planning and coordination of seminars/workshops on Curriculum Development;
• Planning and coordination of seminars/workshops on the integration of technology with teaching and learning (E-Learning);
• Training academics on assessment of student learning;
• Conducting orientation programmes for new lecturing staff;
• Training lecturers on the development of professional portfolios
• Consultancy services on teaching and learning issues;
• Managing and rolling out SI Programme;
• Coordinating the Peer Assisted Learning Programme and training of student assistants; and
• Coordinating the Foundation Programme/ECP
MODE OF DELIVERY
Seminars and Workshops
Group and Individual Consultations
E-Mails and other social platforms
TIME OF ENGAGEMENT
These will be displayed from time to time on Unit offices
As per agreed appointments
WHERE ARE WE?
We are based in the New Engineering Building
For further information, you can visit our offices or contact us on 031 907 7738 / 031 907 7576
eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org , or email@example.com